Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nationalism

This one is bound to piss some people off - if people were reading it. There isn't much difference between Nationalism and Patriotism. And unfortunately I have to say that I am neither Nationalistic or Patriotic. And yes, I am fully aware that the fact that I live in a Western Civilization allows me the freedom to make that type of statement. But invariably, when people hear that, they immediately get defensive. "Our young men are giving their lives for your ungrateful self."

There are so many quotes I am so tired of hearing...

"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
"Can you read? Thank a teacher. Can you read in English? Thank a soldier."

The list goes on. There are a couple of reasons why I am so tired of these statements - some of which I will cover in another Blog later. But let me cut right to the chase... Nationalism (and Patriotism) is nothing but socially accepted racism. That is to say - the belief or idea that we are "better" than another people or culture, Or the fear of another people or culture because they are different. The willingness of a person to die for that cause does not legitimize it. White supremacists had "soldiers" called the KKK. Many would argue that the Civil War was based on racism in which men fought and died for their beliefs. You can rationalize it anyway you like, but it will not change the fact that the basis for your nationalism is routed in your misguided fear or thought that 'we' are better than another.


I have the absolute highest respect for our soldiers that go to war to fight for what they believe in. But I have just as much respect for the men they fight. They, too, go to war for what they believe in. Do I agree with one side more than the other? Certainly. I agree that Terrorism must be stopped (if possible). But my respect for our soldiers is based on the fact that they believe they are doing the right thing and paying the ultimate sacrifice for it, NOT because they are Americans defending America.

But then again, I could be wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment