Friday, June 4, 2010

Philosophy is Dead (Part 3)

Assuming you read part 2: http://theepitomeofmediocrity.blogspot.com/2010/06/philosophy-is-dead-part-2.html

So where does this leave me? Thanks (in large part) to Immanuel Kant, there are 3 primary schools of thought with regard to ethics and morality: Deontology, Consequentialism, and Nihilism. And although not a traditional "philosophical school of thought" - I would include Religion as well. To this day, I have always skewed toward Deontology. Now I'll be the first to admit that I do not believe any one system of belief is adequate. There are situations in life that always require exceptions. But as I began to draft up this blog, I found myself scared that perhaps I had become a nihilist. I say 'scared' because I have traditionally been least fond of Nihilism (regardless of my fondness/respect for Nietzsche). But fortunately, I don't believe this is the case. Nihilism seeks to prove that either A) there is no basis for objective morality, or B) there is a basic primeval morality which drives us to do what is in our own best interest. So in actual fact, my belief is a direct opposition to Nihilism. Nietzsche believed that the "Christian" moral code was a slave mentality. At this moment - I am prepared to disagree. The Christian moral code is merely a reflection of the basic genetic instinct of humans to support our society.

That said - is the Christian (or any religion) moral code perfect? Absolutely not. After all - like all other philosophical approaches it was written by the few - for the many. Although the underlying themes are determined by the human genetic make-up, these schools of thought attempt to provide a basis on how "all" people should act.

And yet - while I am glad that I can confidently say that my proposal is not Nihilistic in nature - it still saddens me. This proposal is eerily close to "predestination" which I have never liked. Predestination technically implies that your "salvation" is predetermined. My premise here implies that "how you act" is predetermined by your genetic make-up. But sadly, I have seen virtually no evidence to disprove this idea. Sure there are people who will claim they have changed. But I am willing to bet that on closer observation you will see this is not the case. Although they may have "learned" a new moral code through necessity or repetition - but if these outside forces are removed - they are more inclined to return to their natural state than they are to continue with the "learned" behavior, especially when placed in a situation where the "learned" behavior is not in agreement with their predetermined genetic make-up.

Through circumstances beyond my control, I was forced to question the nature of faith, belief, and our actions at a relatively young age. And after years of study, I found that I agreed with Kant's deontological views (in the area of morality). It was the approach to which I could most easily relate and defend. And for the last 15 years or more I have done just that. But it has occurred to me recently, that not once have I ever actually based my actions on any deontological thought process. That is to say I do not stop and consciously think, "Can I will that my action become a universal law?" Minor decisions are not worth the time. And when evaluating major decisions I generally know how I want to resolve and will always look for ways to rationalize my behavior - even if it is to suggest that "Deontology" doesn't work in this case. So looking back I realize that deontology was simply the philosophical principle which most closely resembled the moral principles I already had.

Wrap up: Any philosophical or religious basis for ethics and morality is ultimately ineffective at providing an objective "reason" for our actions. More specifically no one particular method will inspire, or cause, you to act in a manner which your genetic make-up did not already determine. In the end it is like developing a complex methodology of determining why you like a certain color. No argument is going to cause you to like a different color than the one you do - and ultimately you will simply choose the philosophical argument which happens to justify your color. But all hope is not lost. New behavior can be learned - but not through philosophical or religious "preachings" - but through pressure from outside forces and your own genetic ability, or inability, to adapt to those forces.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.....

2 comments:

  1. New behavior can be learned - but not through philosophical or religious "preachings"

    You mean that Plato was right? Virtue cannot be taught (Meno)?

    Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well first off, Plato's Republic shows that he obviously had a change of heart - with his notion that the greatest form of education is "knowledge of the Good." But that said, I would admit that I agree with the basic Socratic principle that virtue cannot be taught (but new virtues can be learned). But I do not believe Socrates, or Plato (to my knowledge), ever linked this to the natural process of human evolution.

    ReplyDelete