Monday, March 15, 2010

Complacency

Well, as this is my very first blog I thought I would start with a subject that is a bit ironic. It's all about the role of complacency with respect to personal and social development. It is a subject which has returned to my thoughts on numerous occasions lately.




I believe we all understand (to one degree or another) the negative conotations of complacency. Is it true that we have become complacent about the war? Sure. Is it true that we have become complacent about straving kids in thrid world nations? Sure. What about those living in our own country? You bet. But what does that really mean?? What am I supposed to do about it? Consider for a moment what your life may be like if you could really keep yourself from becoming complacent of all the ills of the earth - a being of pure empathy. You would be wholly consumed in your grief, or your amazement. True - this is no revelation. And it certainly isn't an excuse for our inaction. But I believe this perspective should keep us from looking with disdain on others who do not seem to share our "passions". (Passion here defined as those unique aspects in life which are seemingly immune to complacency - more to come on that.)


I wear a Vietnam MIA/POW bracelet on my right arm. I put it on when I was in 10th grade - and it's been off my wrist approximately twice since then (roughly 20 years). When asked why I wore it (still) I used to answer that it reminded me of the consequences of war. But I was fooling myself. I did't walk around looking at my wrist in deep contemplation of the tragedies of Vietnam; most days I couldn't have told you the guy's name imprinted on the bracelet. I still wear it today, but for a different reason. I wear it to remind me of how we all become complacent of those things we see every day and how important it is that we have this ability.


Complacency has its benefits. We generally refer to it as "acceptance." But it is complacency none-the-less. I spent 5 weeks in Europe. And during that trip I saw such beauties and wonders I could never have dreamed of. Standing in St. Peter's Cathedral with the sun shining down through the dome on the tomb of St. Peter is something words just cannot describe. And the peace and tranquility of traveling down the Rhine River is breathtaking (ironic?). And it struck me that surely life must be so much better in these places...Well of course you know that isn't true. Why? Because these people have become complacent of their surroundings; it's the only thing that allows them to carry out normal every day life.


But I believe complacency has an even greater benefit. I believe it is the single most important factor in the develoment of human knowledge. Consider the definition I provided for "passion". Hobbies are just one example of this - but you could just as easily look at astronomers who grew up looking at the stars and dreamed of being astronomers or even astronauts. For each of us, there are things we just cannot get enough of. It would seem that for these "passions" complacencny has no hold; we are always thinking about them and we always want more. But it is here that I believe complacency plays its most vital role. Complacency is what allows us to further our knowledge and continue to learn more. Imagine if Einstein had been content to learn about algebra and never went on to study physics. You can call it acceptance - but at the end of the day, it is your ability to stop being amazed and continually move forward ever looking for that next more amazing thing that drives you to learn more. It is in our nature to never be sated.


And this concept should not be over-looked easily. How many e-mails will you get over the course of a year showing you the innocence of a child becasue they take things at face-value; or how cunning they seem because they can see through the stuff we take for granted? We are humored to see human development at its best - the mind free of its complacency in the every day.


Then again, I could be completely wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment